Thursday, April 28, 2011

Exciting Rest Day

Well I have had an exciting day! It was my very last day of classes as an undergraduate student!!!!!

I also got my hands on my official transcript and have an appointment for a dental exam and blood work at NAS Jax next week. AND my essay about "Why I Want to be a Marine Corps Officer" is COMPLETE!! I am 100% paperwork complete for the Marine Corps and I will be a college graduate in 17 days!!!

Now, I know a college degree doesn't mean much these days and it means a lot of different things to different people. This is what it means to me:

My degree does not mean I am smarter than anyone else, I am by no means a super genius, or even a very good student, but I enjoy learning. I love continuous education and bettering myself every day. Mostly my degree means that I did not give up. I almost didn't graduate because of financial issues, but I was able to work through it and got the opportunity to finish. Not just finish, but finish strong. My degree means that I am not a statistic. I am not like all of the girls back home in Tampa who went to community college, or started college, got a boyfriend, got pregnant and now have a kid, or a kid on the way. (Some girls got married before or after their pregnancy.. but still) My degree means I have the freedom to explore the world before I settle down. It means I am an example of someone who did something right (how often does that happen?) and that is both honoring and humbling. It's changing my perspective on the world and I feel a lot of personal growth is about to happen in the next 17 days. I am excited. I have been ready to be a graduate since I got started. I have never shied away from responsibility and I know life will be challenging, but I love a good challenge.

My degree means I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment