Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Prepping for the Open

Sweet, super long day of training today. 2 hours in the Progenex garage!

I had 6x 5min AMRAPs with 4min rest between. Went at 85%.
Tough but fun! I mentally prepped myself for what my goals in each amrap would be and I met them in all of them! Nate hit quite a few goats and strengths at the same time. I got to do 3 different amraps, hitting each twice. Push ups are definitely better, though I feel a break in my midline after I get about 20 reps. It's really valuable to know where your limits are. That's one of my other favorite aspects of Nate's programming, I'm learning where my abilities are really at and I'm no longer over or undershooting my expectations and capabilities. My DUs have finally come together! I can feel exactly where my hands need to be. It's all about where your hands are- the jump is just the jump. Working on hitting a few skill goat stuff in my warm up. Making sure I work my pull up technique, practicing handstands/ walks/ push ups. They're coming together bit by bit.

Watching the OC Throwdown updates fired me up to compete again. There's a local comp here Saturday that a lot of my friends out here are doing, and I wanted to sign up and compete awhile back but I wasn't sure I'd be able to go. So I asked coach if it'd be okay if I competed and he said: "Well, we're not very far into your training yet..." LOL loved that response! I didn't think it would be a good idea either. He also reminded me that I would have to treat it as a fun weekend and not care about my placement - he knows me so well, I would've been pissed if I didn't podium, so for the mental aspect of training he didn't think I should compete and I agreed. I said regionals was more important and he reminded me that my training focus isn't for regionals- he's training me for the open. If I make it to regionals I'll have competition test weekends to prep me for regionals. Naturally this motivates the fuck out of me to make it to regionals because I want to experience the most I can of his training! I'm really impressed how good he is for my head. I'm more motivated than ever to eat right and sleep well so I can hit his training at my very best. All of the best programming in the world doesn't mean shit if you don't show up and give it your all. I also love that the training is inspiring me to eat better and be better. It's a much better motivator than trying to "look good" or look like you're good at crossfit for the sake of appearances like what used to be my "motivation."

In the name of good health and nutrition I've been experimenting with what to eat and not eat and I have to say having lots of healthy fats- grassfed butter, coconut milk/oil and a crapton of avocados in the form of homemade guacamole has been TREMENDOUS in making me feel and look better. Tonight I experimented with my old level of paleo- allowing myself sweet potato fries and the occasional treat of peanut butter (not paleo, but okay according to some people) mixed with agave nectar -- OMFG, MISTAKE. My stomach has been grumbling ever since. I've been mentally trying to decide if I should zone my paleo to try and lose some weight and I've decided for 14 days I'm zoning with 3x the fat! Easy to achieve with the guac and butter and coconuts :) Looking forward to recording and seeing the effects and results!

Excited to train tomorrow! It's a double WOD day! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment